It really isn’t that long ago when the phrase eco-friendly construction conjured images of a tasteless and dull home. However, as the green home movement has taken off, home designers and contractors have sought out beautiful and appealing eco-friendly materials to satisfy the demand. Since the industry has stepped up their game, consumers have been given many attractive options. Today, we are sharing some of the most popular eco-friendly flooring trends.
1. Cork – All things considered, cork is relatively new as a flooring material, but it is amazing. Cork comes from the bark of the cork oak tree. What makes this an eco-friendly option is the trees are not cut down. Growers simply harvest the bark, which will grow back within 3 years. Additionally, the material is anti-microbial, fire-retardant, and a natural insect repellent.
2. Bamboo – Another flooring material growing in popularity is bamboo. However, it is actually a grass, making it sustainable and easily renewed. Nonetheless, bamboo shares many properties of hardwood. It is durable, easy to maintain, and installs with little difficulty. Moreover, bamboo has many advantages over traditional hardwood, with a large variety of colors and grains.
3. Linoleum – When most people think of linoleum, they are actually thinking about vinyl flooring. The two are not the same. Linoleum is a blend of cork dust, tree resins, linseed oil, wood flour, ground limestone, and pigments. It is not a new product, but it is regaining popularity. Linoleum is sturdy, water-resistant, and fire-retardant.
4. Glass Tiles – This is a fast-growing trend for kitchens and bathrooms. Glass tiles are made from recycled materials, making it a renewable source. The tiles are non-absorptive and will not mildew, nor will they mold in damp areas. Glass comes in an unlimited variety of colors and styles. Additionally, they will not stain and are easy to maintain.
5. Rubber – Did you ever wonder what happens to your old tires when you replace them? They are recycled into rubber flooring. While this product conjures images of gym floors and playgrounds, it is growing in popularity within the home. Rubber flooring is an excellent solution for sunrooms, kitchens, or bathrooms. Moreover, it is durable, attractive, and versatile.
What haven’t we covered yet that is important to you? If you would like to talk about popular eco-friendly flooring trends, or need more information, please contact us.